Follow D.D. on Facebook!

Follow D.D. on Twitter!

    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

    << Back Home

    Monday, September 8, 2008

    Skidding in Sideways

    Okay...I have this flip chart on my desk with fabulous quotes and hilarious images (well, I think they're hilarious). I'll be sharing many of them with you, hoping they're the perfect pick-me-ups for you like they are for me. The one I've had up for this week is:

    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"" ---- Mavis Leyrer of Seattle, age 83

    I have no idea who Mavis is but have a feeling she'd be a hoot to have lunch and cocktails with!

    And skidding in sideways is exactly my preferred M.O. Sweet Man says that I'm always just a bit 'off', a tad quirky. And damn am I proud of that!

    And evidently, I'm not alone in touting and advocating my 'off-ness'. I stumbled across this fantastically quirky book and am devouring every page. It's truly a must-read and a do-try-this-at-home thing. Not often we can say that...right? LOL! Check out Kate White's "Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead But Gutsy Girls Do".

    She's all for trying something brash (or sexy, sassy, smart in D. D. Scott speak) when you need to get attention. Push the envelope, she says. Try the wackiest solution possible. Look at the problem while standing on your head...which my college roommate did while she studied. I tried it but ended up with a headache and dizzier than hell. Oh well. At least I was a gutsy girl for trying a wacky solution. And it was fun to see peoples' reactions when they'd pass by our door and see us on our heads reading books. I'm thinking Mavis from Seattle would approve!

    And speaking of Mavis' "holy shit...what a ride!"...that's me these days...on one heck of a ride adding about 100 plus pages to my current work in progress (WIP) manuscript. My agent decided we were going from category length to single title length. That's going from about 55,000 words to between 85,000 and 100,000 words. Hello, Gutsy Girl! Are you in there somewhere?! Help!

    Actually, it's not too bad...today. Tomorrow, I may think differently. LOL! Poor Sweet Man. He keeps thinking I'm talking to him and says "what did you say"? But I'm not. I'm talking to myself and my characters, working out various scene possibilities. Sweet Man just shakes his head and leaves me to my wackiness.

    Time to get back to my WIP. I'll be totally worn out when I'm done but still skidding in sideways and getting a great kick out of the ride!

    Sexy, Sassy, Smart Wishes to You --- D. D. Scott

    P.S. I plan to post on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. You'll hear from Sweet Man on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can't wait to see what he's thinking...

    Labels:

     


     

    1 Comments:
    Blogger jaw said...

    Hi D.D., I just read your latest entry. Cool! I think Mavis sounds like quite a character! You aren't sliding though-------your're on a roll!!!! jaw

    September 7, 2008 at 6:46 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     - 

    << Home