Follow D.D. on Facebook!

Follow D.D. on Twitter!

    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

    << Back Home

    Tuesday, October 7, 2008

    And The Band Played On

    It's 8:30 in the evening on a cold, crisp Autumn night and our high school band is still practicing. I can hear them through my office windows. They've been at it now for almost two hours. It's a school night, and Sweet Man and I have been wondering and worrying about the late hour and how much homework is waiting on these kids at their dining room tables. And what about time to rest, relax and enjoy family?

    I do think, like Sweet Man, that many of these kids may not have the passion to drive them to pursue their musical talents...perhaps it is their parents' passions putting them into overdrive. Whether it be music, athletics, theatre, dance, fine arts, or academics, my hope is that these kids are marching to their own dreams and not someone elses.

    For me, writing has always been the driving force that keeps my internal band playing each and every day and sometimes late into the night. My muses, whom I call The Carrie Squad with a mixture of love, admiration and attitude, just keep dancing to their own beat. They've got enough passion for several lifetimes, and I'm having a ton of fun indulging them.

    The Carrie Squad came to be called such on account of my respect and awe for Candace Bushnell and her Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City fame. Carrie lived her life - all its blissful aha moments along with its hell in a designer handbag disasters - through her words. She somehow captured on her laptop and eventually in print what her heart, mind, body and soul were loving without holding back or fighting against like mad couture canaries. And its her passion, the way she not only puts her best foot and shoe forward but also goes for all or nothing like the ultimate, most glamorous of gutsy girls, that resonates with me as a wanne-be Wonder Woman and writer.

    So if those kids are out there on that dew soaked football field, playing their hearts out because their own Carrie Squads are cheering them on, I'm marching with them. But if they're not, and simply tooting those horns for others' happiness, may those others get a clue.

    Sexy, Sassy, Smart Wishes --- D. D. Scott

    Labels:

     


     

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     - 

    << Home