Follow D.D. on Facebook!

Follow D.D. on Twitter!

    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

    << Back Home

    Tuesday, October 7, 2008

    Youth sports or adult "living vicariously through the kids" frenzy

    Let me get this off of my chest. The Cubs are out of it. The Pack lost. Peyton pulled another one out of his hat. One for three would be a decent batting average, but I'm still ticked. OK, 'nuff said.


    I would be P.O.ed if I was a parent with a child in athletics or some other type of activity. Is it me, or has the stuff gone over the top? It is 8:30 PM on a school night. I can hear the high school marching band still practicing. When are the kids supposed to eat supper and do homework? It seems that the adult leaders of these activities are living their fantasies through the kids. There is such a push for excellence in sports, etc. that the recreational aspect, or fun, has been taken away from the kids. Overzealous adults expect too much of the young individuals, searching for their own satisfaction. Let the kids have fun. It seems that the youth do not participate in the activity, they are expected to BECOME the activity. Nothing scalds me more than to see some donkey-butt parent acting (actually I don't think it's an "act") like a fool at the events. Living vicariously through their kid is the M.O.


    I understand that there is a lot at stake on the high school level regarding college scholarships for those who are good enough. Unfortunately, the kids need to start being very competitive at very young ages so they are ready for the high school "sport-a-thons". I acknowledge that this is a tough issue. Parents that either can't, or don't want to save for the education of their children, try to push the kids to break their necks and give up their childhood in an attempt to get a free ride to college. I wonder what the stats are on how many actually get college scholarships out of the literally ten's of thousands of high schoolers that participate in sports or other activities every year.


    Obviously, I have no answers. I just think that sports and other activities have become too competitive at to young of an age.


    SM

    Labels:

     


     

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     - 

    << Home